AdBlock detected! Some links may not work. Prof recommends turning off AdBlock on his site.

New online casinos pop up like mushrooms in the rain.  For players residing in the EU, the most important casinos are the ones  with an EU-license – because this means tax-free winnings in most countries.  When you look at online casino licenses, you’ll see a license from one license administrator, or two – sometimes even three. When a casino has one or two licenses from the EU, it’s a clean game. But what happens, when a casino has a license from the EU, and outside EU?


Online casinos apply for licenses based on which country they want to offer games in, as well as what type of games they want to offer. Although most countries allow gambling for the residents, the government can still deny companies from offering games to residents, if they don’t have a correct license.

First off, we should mention that casinos without any license, you should walk away from – no, run away from.  These casinos are out there usually just to snatch your money – and they won’t stay around for too long, either. So stay at licensed casinos! And Casino Professor only recommends licensed casinos, of course.

Especially in the EU, popular licenses are Malta Gaming Authority, UK Gambling Commission,  and Alderney Gambling Control Commission. MGA, UKGC and AGCC are all European licenses. These usually mean tax-free winnings (depending on your country). It also means, that these casinos are strictly regulated and tested by a third party, so they are reliable and safe. Casinos under a EU-licenses undergo a lot of testing and third party audits.

So, if you’re looking for a 100% safe and reliable casino to play at, turn to casinos with a license from the MGA, UKGC or AGCC.

For instance, Curacao eGaming is a license from outside the EU. This means, that European players must pay taxes from their winnings. Other licenses from outside the EU are for example  Kahnawake Gaming Commission, Costa Rica and Gibraltar.

Licenses outside of the EU

Curacao eGaming, Kahnawake Gaming Commission, Government of Gibraltar and Costa Rica Gambling Company are examples of licenses outside of the EU. When playing at casinos, you’ll often see casinos having a license from Curacao, Kahnawake or Gibraltar either alone or with a European license.

Licenses outside of the EU can be obtained fairly easily. Usually this means, that the casino has to pay for the license – and that’s it. Usually, non-EU licensees don’t have to follow strict rules and are not audited to see that they provide fair service. This is why also the integrity of the owners matter.

If a casino has a license from a non-EU country, you should be a bit reserved. Look at the age of the casino and what the other players are saying. If other players say it’s casino worth trying, go ahead and give it a shot. However, if a casino is new and/or it has bad reviews, you should be careful.

What if a casino has two licenses?

If the casino has two EU -licenses, for example Malta Gaming Authority and UK Gambling Commission, you have nothing to worry about. You can play any games you want, and when you snatch a win, you don’t have to pay 1 cent of taxes. In addition, if a casino has two EU -licenses, you can be 200% sure that these casinos are trustworthy and reliable.

But what happens, when a casino has a license both from EU-area and non-EU -area? At casinos like these you have to choose your games wisely, as paying and not paying taxes depends on which kind of games you play. However, if a casino has a license from MGA and Curacao for instance, the casino is still audited and background checked – aka. safe.

Software providers

A super popular software provider, NetEntertainment, offers tax-free games, as they are licensed by the MGA. Also, they offer 95-97% return. Starburst, Gonzo’s Quest, Dracula and Invisible Man are some of the most popular games from this provider.

Microgaming, on the other hand, offers games under the UK Gambling Commission. These winnings are tax-free as well. Games from Microgaming include for example Bridesmaids and Terminator 2.

Ezugi is licensed under Curacao eGaming, so when playing these games from a casino that operates under a non-EU -license, you have to pay taxes from your winnings. Ezugi offers a lot of card and table games, such as blackjack and baccarat.

In addition, providers such as Norwegian Yggdrasil and Swedish NoLimitCity offer tax-free games.

You should always double check the laws and regulations of your own country, if you’re unsure. Players from the UK can only play games from a casino that has a license from the UK Gambling Commission.

For example MyChance, Slotsheaven and Cherry Casino are casinos with a double license. These casinos are excellent online casinos with great bonuses and free spins.  Just make sure to play tax-free games, if you wish not to pay taxes from your winnings.


Casino Professor

Casino Professor

Casino Professor, or just Prof among friends, is an older guy with a knack on online casinos. Among gracefully ageing reviewing online casinos has become his life mission.